Breast augmentation is one of the most popular cosmetic surgical procedures. Also known as augmentation mammoplasty, it entails increasing the breast size of a person. Saline or silicone implants are normally used to enhance the breast size. Another method that is used to augment the breasts is fat transfer whereby fat is harvested from your abdomen and thighs, processed and then reinjected into your breasts to add volume.
Reasons why individuals get breast augmentation surgery is to:
- Enhance their physical appearance
- Reconstruct their breast/s after mastectomy
- Increase their breast size after pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Adjust uneven breast size
Before going in for the procedure, it is important to know what to expect post-surgery and how long it will take for you to feel fully recovered as this will help you to prepare better.
There is no exact timeline for breast augmentation recovery since every woman’s body is unique and it heals at its own pace. Most Plastic Surgeons however agree that a full recovery may take about six to eight weeks or so and that most women feel particularly fine after a week. Your Plastic Surgeon will be able to give you a definitive timeline after assessing your overall health.
Here is what to expect while recovering from your breast augmentation procedure
Immediately after your procedure
You may feel a bit groggy and sore once you wake up from anesthesia but this wears off within a few hours. Your breasts will be wrapped with an elastic band or a recovery bra to support them during the recovery. Your Plastic Surgeon will also explain to you on how to take care of your incision sites. You will however need someone to take you home and stay the night.
The first week
The first five days are usually the most uncomfortable but your Plastic Surgeon will recommend pain killers to ease the discomfort. However, after the first week, most women are able to return to their desk jobs.
The next few weeks
After the first week, you are encouraged to ease back into your normal daily activities and light exercises. The discomfort is usually minimal at this point. Strenuous activities are discouraged until you are fully recovered.
If you however have a labor-intensive job, you should take at least 2 to 2 weeks off.
After about 2 months, if your body heals well, you should be nearing full recovery. Your Plastic Surgeon will examine you and let you know when you can resume normal activities and exercise.
Successful breast augmentation recovery largely depends on how well you heal. Here are some tips to help you have a smooth recovery:
- Recovery bras. Always wear your recovery bras and follow your doctor’s instructions. They help in managing the pain and swelling as well as provide support. The recovery bras also provide implant stability. .
- Pain medication will help you a lot, especially in the first week as they will help in managing the discomfort and it is important to take the whole dose.
- You may have to apply ointment or wear a bandage while caring for your incisions but this will depend on your Plastic Surgeon’s preference.
- Wear loose clothes. Loose fitting and breathable clothes (mostly tops) will likely make you feel more comfortable.
- Eat a healthy diet. Eating nutritious foods helps with your recovery, such as vegetables, fruits lean proteins and hydrating drinks.
- Arrange for childcare if you have children. Before your surgery make sure to have someone who will assist you during your recovery and also take care of your children. This will ensure that you get as much rest as you need.
Be sure to follow your Plastic Surgeon’s instructions for a smooth recovery. If you notice anything out of the usual during your recovery always reach out to your doctor for clarifications.
Book your appointment for a consultation
Would you like to understand what options are available for Breast Augmentation in Dubai? Meet one of our experts at Al Shunnar Plastic Surgery for a personal consultation to develop a tailor-made plan for you. Contact us or Book an appointment and our patient care coordinators will identify the most suitable expert for you.