Acne Scar Treatment
Constant acne breakouts, which can start happening from the teenage years, can leave one with scarring, which are not easy to get rid of. These acne scars can easily make someone feel embarrassed with a need to hide them under heavy makeup. That is why an individual who suffers from acne scarring, may want to get rid of them because he or she is;
- Self-conscious about his or her skin
- Wants smooth skin
- Bothered by the appearance of the acne scars
- Constantly covering up the acne scars with makeup
- Emotionally affected by the acne scars
Acne scar treatments lessen the appearance of the scars and can even prevent further breakouts.
Acne Scar Treatment Technique Options
There are acne scars, which are permanent while others fade away on their own over time. To get rid of acne scarring, one would need to get acne scar treatment, which includes;
- Dermabrasion; This type of treatment removes or reduces the depth of scars through the use of a high speed brush to resurface the skin. It can take several days to heal from this type of treatment.
- Micro-dermabrasion; This is a less intensive type of dermabrasion in which very small crystals are sprayed on the surface skin to exfoliate the top layer. More than one treatment is usually required and it does not have a downtime.
- Laser; Lasers can be used to remove the top layer of the skin, lighten redness around healed acne lesions or contour areas of acne scarring. Different types of lasers can be used depending on whether the acne scar is flat or raised. More than one treatment session may be needed, and healing take several days.
- Chemical peels; These reduce the appearance of post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation around a healed acne lesion and shallow acne scars. It usually removes the top layer of the skin giving it a smoother and more even appearance.
- Fillers; Certain types of acne scars can be treated using hyaluronic-based fillers, collagen, or fat injections. These fill out deep acne scars to create an even skin surface.
- Punch excisions; These type of treatment removes acne scars by individually cutting out or excising the scar. The hole left by the incision is repaired with either a skin graft or stitches. This technique treats mostly pitted acne scars.
- Skin grafting; In this technique, a small piece of the patient’s skin is used to fill in an area of scarred skin. The skin grafts are normally taken from behind the ears. This technique is often used when dermabrasion has left a large tunnel on the skin.
Our Commitment To You
It is perfectly normal to feel uncomfortable with the idea of surgery or injections. Don’t worry, we will guide you smoothly and comfortably along the entire process to allow you to make the best decision. At Al Shunnar Plastic Surgery, our experts have more than 20 years of experience in plastic and cosmetic procedures and have helped more than 10,000 patients safely achieve their dream of beauty and confidence. We will identify the most suitable expert for you, will listen to you, understand and identify your individual and detailed requirements in a tailor made consultation, advise you on what you expect from the right treatment and ultimately develop the most suitable treatment plan with you.
The Acne Scar Treatment Process
a) The Consultation
The first step of an Acne scar treatment is having a detailed consultation and examination in the clinic with our board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist, to determine a tailor-made plan for each candidate.
b) The Treatment
The second step is to schedule the Acne scar treatment with the highly qualified and experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is an expert in Acne scar treatment and other skincare treatments. The duration of the treatment depends on the treatment technique used.
Prior to any surgery or treatment, each patient is screened to ensure that it is safe to proceed with the procedure. This includes either a pre-anesthetic consultation, blood testing, and/or to ensure the patient is a fit candidate for the procedure.
The treatment procedure, which is done in the clinic, depends on the type of acne scar. There are different types of acne scars including;
- Macules: These are flat red spots located where the acne lesion used to be. These can easily fade on their own albeit after a number of weeks.
- Skin discoloration: This happens when a healed acne scar leaves discolored skin which is called post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Tissue scars: There are types of acne which leave enlarged scars and raised tissue. These are called hypertrophic scars or keloids and are caused by the excess production of collagen in the skin.
- Loss of tissue: These types of acne scars are known as follicular atrophy, atrophic macules, soft scars, depressed fibrotic scars or ice-pick scars and are caused by loss of tissue. They appear sunken and tend to look like pits in the skin.
The expert plastic surgeon accompanies the patient throughout the entire process of recovery and healing, through scheduled follow-ups.
c) The Recovery
The recovery varies on the type of acne scar that an individual has and the treatment technique used.
Over a period of time, the patient would typically have several post-treatment visits to the clinic to monitor the healing process.
Although an Acne scar treatment procedure is straightforward, it is important that the right level of intervention or treatment is determined and that the procedure, whether surgical or non-surgical be performed by a qualified and expert plastic surgeon. A potential candidate has to fit into certain criteria to be eligible for the procedure and should:
- Have realistic expectations regarding the expected results.
- Be in good health both physically and psychologically.
- Be a nonsmoker
- Have acne scars
What To Expect From An Acne Scar Treatment
The main benefit of an Acne scar treatment is rejuvenated and clear skin. Since everyone is different, the expected results of an Acne scar treatment might vary from person to person, but benefits typically include:
- Restoration of self-confidence
- No more hiding of face under piles of makeup
- Rejuvenated skin
- Acne scar free skin
Book your appointment for a Consultation
Would you like to understand what the best options for a younger, fresher, better-looking-you are? Meet one of our experts at Al Shunnar Plastic Surgery for a personal consultation, to develop a tailor-made plan for you. Contact us or book an appointment and our patient care coordinators will identify the most suitable expert for you.
Dr. Claudia Alves Silva Machado
Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Kamal Sawan
Consultant Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Buthainah Al Shunnar
Consultant Plastic Surgeon