Post-Weight Loss Surgery
Losing a vast amount of weight is a wonderful accomplishment. However, it comes with excess sagging skin which can present a new challenge which can keep an individual from fully enjoying the benefits of their weight loss.
Post-weight loss surgery involves the removal of excess skin and restoring a more aesthetically pleasing body contour. Candidates typically choose post weight loss surgery if they suffer from loose, inelastic skin after extreme weight loss due to diet, exercise or bariatric surgery.
Post-Weight Loss Surgery Technique Options
Post-weight loss surgery includes a range of various body contouring procedures that address excess skin folds on the arms, legs, torso and buttocks thus helping individuals achieve a more natural, and aesthetically pleasing shape. The techniques involved are:
- Lower body lift: This involves the tightening of the tissues on the abdomen, buttocks and thighs.
- Panniculectomy: This procedure involves the removal of the apron of skin called the pannus, which hangs from below the belly button.
- Thigh and buttock lift: A thigh and buttock lift get rid of excess skin gathered around the buttocks and thighs.
- Upper body lift procedures: A number of procedures are done on the upper body targeting various issues like bra rolls, sagging breasts or loose hanging skin on the upper arms.
Our Commitment To You
Our highly trained and experienced staff will guide you smoothly and comfortably along the entire process of Post-weight loss surgery in Dubai, which will allow you to make the best decision. At Al Shunnar Plastic Surgery, our experts have more than 20 years of experience in plastic and cosmetic procedures and have helped more than 10,000 patients safely achieve their dream of beauty and confidence. We will identify the most suitable expert for you, will listen to you, understand and identify your individual and detailed requirements in a tailor-made consultation, advise you on what you expect from the right treatment and ultimately develop the most suitable treatment plan with you.
The Post-Weight Loss Surgery Process
a) The Consultation
The first step of a post-weight loss surgery is having a detailed consultation and examination in the clinic with our Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon, to determine a tailor-made plan for each candidate.
b) The Surgery
The second step is to schedule the post weight loss surgery in Dubai with a highly qualified and experienced Plastic Surgeon who is an expert in post-weight loss surgery and other body contouring procedures. Depending on the body area, the procedure requires 1-3 hours under general anesthesia.
Prior to the surgery, each patient is screened to ensure that it is safe to proceed with the procedure. This includes a pre-anesthetic consultation, blood testing, and to ensure the patient is a fit candidate for the procedure.
The surgery is conducted in a hospital operating theatre and the patient typically spends 1 to 3 nights in the hospital after surgery to recover depending on the surgery involved. He or she can spend more time if required. The techniques involved in post-weight loss surgery include;
- Lower body lift: This is one of the most extensive procedures. It involves an incision just above the hip bone, which runs around the circumference of the body. The surgeon tightens stretched abdominal muscles through this incision, removes excess sagging skin from the back and front of the torso then lifts the remaining tissues to restore a firmer and shapelier lower body appearance.
- Abdominoplasty: also known as a tummy tuck, abdominoplasty is a surgical procedure which removes excess fat and skin from the midsection. It also restores separated and weakened muscles resulting in a smoother and firmer midsection. During this procedure, the surgeon cuts the abdomen from one hipbone to the other hipbone and then contours the skin, muscles and tissue as needed. If required, the belly button is placed through a new opening thereby changing and re-centering its position.
- Panniculectomy: The incision of this technique is similar to that of a tummy tuck which is located just above the pubic bone. This procedure can dramatically improve an individual’s comfort and help clothing fit better but it however does not tighten the abdominal contours when it is performed as a standalone procedure. Once the apron of skin has been removed, a smoother and firmer torso is restored.
- Thigh and buttock lift: This procedure removes excess fat and skin and restores a firmer, smoother and more slender appearance to the buttocks and legs. Incisions vary depending on the location and amount of skin to be removed. However, the incisions are placed in the least conspicuous places possible such as the natural crease beneath the buttocks or lower hips, the groin or where the scars can be concealed by a swimsuit.
- Upper body lift procedures: There are various upper body lift procedures such as an arm lift, a back lift or bra line lift and breast lift surgery. These procedures restore a firmer and more youthful appearance.
The expert Plastic Surgeon accompanies the patient throughout the entire process of recovery and healing, through scheduled follow-ups.
c) The Recovery
Recovery from post-weight loss surgery takes a few days to weeks and it varies depending on the procedure that has been done. Your doctor will however guide you through it. Upon discharge from the hospital, the patient typically has minor bandages, which are changed the following day, and new ones placed. During the recovery period, strenuous activity should be avoided, but normal day-to-day activities can typically be resumed after 1 to 2 weeks.
Over a period of about 4 weeks, the patient would typically have several post-operation visits to the clinic to monitor the healing process.
Although a post weight loss procedure is straightforward, it is important that the right level of intervention or treatment is determined and that the procedure, whether surgical or non-surgical be performed by a qualified and expert Plastic Surgeon. A potential candidate has to fit into certain criteria to be eligible for the procedure and should:
- Have stable weight.
- Be able to take several weeks to recover.
- Understand the potential outcome of having visible scars.
- Have realistic expectations regarding the expected results.
- Be in good health both physically and psychologically.
What To Expect From A Post Weight Loss Surgery
The main benefit of a post-weight loss surgery is a more contoured body. Since everyone is different, the expected results of a post-weight loss surgery might vary from person to person, but benefits typically include:
- A more contoured body
- Increased confidence
- Fitting well into clothes
- Better looking body
- A firmer body shape
Meet one of our experts at Al Shunnar Plastic Surgery for a personal consultation, to develop a tailor-made plan for you. Contact us or book an appointment and our patient care coordinators will identify the most suitable expert for you.
Dr. Claudia Alves Silva Machado
Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Kamal Sawan
Consultant Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Buthainah Al Shunnar
Consultant Plastic Surgeon