A woman’s breasts tend to change as the years go by especially when some factors like gravity, pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight fluctuations, aging, heredity and genetics are involved. Some women choose to keep their breasts as they are, while others feel the need to perk them up and make them firmer. This can be because;
- The skin on the breasts becomes loose and sagging because of volume loss and lack of substance.
- The nipples start facing downwards or are too low.
- The breasts have lost shape.
- Of lack of elasticity of the skin.
To achieve perkier and firmer breasts, a breast lift procedure is required. Also known as Mastopexy in Dubai, breast lifts rejuvenate the breasts by trimming excess skin and tightening supporting tissues to achieve an uplifted, youthful contour.
A mastopexy also raises and reshapes sagging breasts by removing excess skin and repositioning the breast tissue (and areola) to a higher position. Any surgery can leave some scars for a period of time and the length and location of the scars depend on the amount of excess skin that needs to be removed to achieve the desired results. After a mastopexy, the breasts are higher on the chest and firmer to the touch. A mastopexy can often be combined with breast augmentation using an implant and or fat transfer.
Breast Lift Technique Options
During a breast lift procedure, a grading system known as Regnault ptosis scale for breast sagging is used by the Plastic Surgeon in order to determine how extensive a patient’s ptosis (i.e. sagging) is and the suitable treatment. Classification is based on how the nipple is positioned in relation to the inframammary fold and the side view of the patient’s breast.
- Grade 1: Mild sagging, is where the inframammary fold and the nipple are at the same level with the tissues laying below.
- Grade 2: Moderate sagging, is where the nipple is laying below the inframammary fold and the tissues are concentrated at the bottom of the breast.
- Grade 3: Severe or advanced sagging, whereby the nipple is far below the fold pointing downward.
- Pseudo ptosis: Not considered as a true ptosis as the nipple is still at the same level with the fold but the tissues of the breast are laying below the fold.
There are two types of techniques used to do the breast lift procedure and they are;
- The Lollipop technique: This is where the incision made during the surgery goes around the edge of the areola downward to the breast crease. This technique is used for moderate to advanced sagging.
- The Anchor technique: During this technique, the surgical incision goes around the edge of the areola, straight downward, and then along the bra crease. The horizontal incision at the crease can be shorter or longer depending on the amount of excess skin to be excised.
A breast lift procedure is often combined with a breast augmentation using an implant or fat transfer to return lost volume.
Our Guidance And Our Commitment To You
Our highly trained and experienced staff will guide you smoothly and comfortably along the entire process to allow you to make the best decision. At Al Shunnar Plastic Surgery, our experts have more than 20 years of experience in plastic and cosmetics procedures and have helped more than 10,000 patients safely achieve their dream of beauty and confidence, including a significant number of breast lift surgeries in Dubai. We will identify the most suitable expert for you, who will listen to you, understand and identify your individual and detailed requirements in a tailor-made consultation. He/she will also advise you on what you should expect from the breast lift procedure and ultimately develop the most suitable treatment plan with you.
Breast Lift Process
There are different techniques involved in a breast lift procedure, and all these rely on the incision made, which also determines the resulting scar.
a) The Consultation
The first step of a breast lift is having a detailed consultation and examination in the clinic with our Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon, to determine a tailor-made plan for each candidate.
The surgeon will discuss your expectations with you, ask questions regarding your medical history, and then do a physical exam to determine options of the procedure and aftermath.
b) The Surgery
The second step is to schedule the breast lift surgery with the highly qualified and experienced Plastic Surgeon who is an expert in breast lift and other body contouring procedures. Prior to the surgery, each patient is screened to ensure that it is safe to proceed with the surgery. This includes a pre-anesthetic consultation, blood testing and to ensure the patient is a fit candidate for the procedure. A mammogram and ultrasound is also done preoperatively depending on the age of the patient.
The procedure requires one to two hours under local anesthesia and intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. The surgeon keenly reviews the breasts so as to determine where to do the incision and the position of the scar at the end. Incision is done under the breast’s crease, around areolas (darker area that surrounds the nipple), or downward from the areolae to the crease. Excess breast skin is removed, tissues reshaped by placing stitches deeper within the breast and then nipple repositioned or reduced.
The expert Plastic Surgeon accompanies the patient throughout the entire process of recovery and healing, through scheduled follow-ups.
c) The Recovery
To reduce any discomfort, pain medication will be recommended up to two weeks. A surgical support bra over a gauze will cover the breasts, and tubes can be placed in the breasts to drain off fluid or excess blood.
The doctor will advise you on when to resume with the daily activities such as showering or washing your hair. The tubes that drain fluid should be removed after a few days and then the bandage maybe changed or removed completely. Some stitches dissolved, and others are removed after one to two weeks. Silicone tape or gel will be recommended to boost the healing process. You will continue to wear a surgical bra in the first few days then later a soft supporting bra for the next month.
Taking breast lift into consideration is not entirely for everyone especially if you are considering getting pregnant in the future, you can postpone the breast lift procedure until after having children.
Although a Breast lift procedure is straight forward, it is important that the right level of intervention or treatment is determined and that the procedure, whether surgical or non-surgical be performed by a qualified expert plastic surgeon. A potential candidate has to fit in to certain criteria to be eligible for the procedure and should have;
- The breasts should have a flatter, or elongated shape
- The nipples and areolas point downwards
- Stretched skin on the breasts
- Enlarged areolas
- One breast lower than the other
- Maintain stable weight
- Be a non-smoker or can stop smoking for two weeks prior to the procedure
- Realistic expectations regarding the expected results
- Be in good health both physically and psychologically
What To Expect From A Breast Lift
Some of the benefits of a breast lift procedure include:
- Rounder and firmer breasts.
- Stretch marks will be reduced or eliminated completely.
- Self-esteem will be boosted
- Improved attitude towards the breasts
- Long lasting results
Meet one of our experts at Al Shunnar Plastic Surgery for a personal consultation, to develop a tailor-made plan for you. Contact us or book an appointment and our patient care coordinators will identify the most suitable expert for you.
Dr. Claudia Alves Silva Machado
Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Kamal Sawan
Consultant Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Buthainah Al Shunnar
Consultant Plastic Surgeon