Acne, also known as Acne Vulgaris in medical terminology, is one of the most common skin problems worldwide. Individuals who have it struggle with it on a daily basis and it can easily affect one’s mood and make you him/her feel uncomfortable in social settings.
Acne mostly appears as an outbreak of pimples on the;
While one can easily cover up the rest of the body with clothing, it is especially hard to cover up the face. This often brings self-esteem issues to those who suffer from acne. Thanks to technology, there are a number of treatment options that can help in dealing with acne. These include chemical peels, and lasers and light therapies.
Acne Treatment Technique Options
Acne is caused when a pore on the skin gets clogged with dead skin cells and oil which leads to the skin getting infected and then inflamed. Hormones and genetics are the two leading causes of acne, and treating it is the only way of combating it. Treatments include;
- Chemical peels: This is an acidic solution which is applied to the affected areas of the skin. It penetrates the skin and destroys dead skin, unclogs pores and promotes the growth of healthy new skin.
- Lasers: Laser therapy for acne treatment has precise effects. This type of treatment is however not suitable for sensitive skin. There are various types of lasers and the dermatologist determines which one suits best.
Our Commitment To You
It is perfectly normal to feel uncomfortable with the idea of any skin treatment, surgery or injections. Don’t worry, we will guide you smoothly and comfortably along the entire process to allow you to make the best decision. At Al Shunnar Plastic Surgery, our experts have more than 20 years of experience in plastic and cosmetic procedures and have helped more than 10,000 patients safely achieve their dream of beauty and confidence. We will identify the most suitable expert for you, will listen to you, understand and identify your individual and detailed requirements in a tailor-made consultation, advise you on what you expect from the right treatment and ultimately develop the most suitable treatment plan with you.
The Acne Treatment Process
a) The Consultation
The first step of an acne treatment is having a detailed consultation and examination in the clinic with our experienced dermatologist, to determine a tailor-made plan for each candidate.
b) The Treatment
The second step is to schedule the acne treatment procedure with the highly qualified and experienced dermatologist who is an expert in acne treatment and other skin treatments and procedures. The treatment requires 30 – 45 minutes.
Prior to every treatment, each patient is screened to ensure that it is safe to proceed with the treatment procedure. This includes a pre-anesthetic consultation, and blood testing (when it is surgery), and to ensure the patient is a fit candidate for the procedure.
The acne treatment is conducted at the clinic, and the treatments used include:
- Chemical peel: Once the skin is cleansed, the chemical peel is applied on the skin with a soft brush. The solution is left on the skin for about 10 minutes, after which the doctor applies a neutralizer on the skin so as to end the chemical reaction. A cold compress is applied to the area so as to end the discomfort before a cream or mask is applied and left for about 30 minutes. The skin is then cleansed. The whole process takes about 45 minutes.
- Laser: This works by removing excess oil and dead skin cells from clogged pores. It can sometimes be combined with other procedures so as to get the desired results although multiple treatment sessions might be needed. This treatment also stops acne breakouts and treats acne scars as well. The process takes about 30 minutes.
The expert dermatologist accompanies the patient throughout the entire process of acne treatment and healing, through scheduled follow-up sessions.
c) The Recovery
After the acne treatment with a chemical peel, the patient can go back to his/her day-to-day activities, although on the first day there might be slight redness on the treatment area. It will take about 3-7 days for the new skin to regenerate and around 3 weeks to see results. Follow up sessions might be required.
For laser treatments, depending on the intensity of the laser used, it can take about one week for the results to show. Immediately after the treatment, the skin might have slight redness, which goes away after 24-48 hours. Also, after each session of the later treatment, it is advisable to avoid sun exposure, and hash skincare products.
Over a period of about 9 weeks, the patient would typically have several follow-up treatment sessions as well as for the dermatologist to monitor the healing process.
Although an acne treatment procedure is straightforward, it is important that the right level of intervention or treatment is determined and that the procedure, whether surgical or non-surgical be performed by a qualified and expert plastic surgeon/ dermatologist. A potential candidate has to fit into certain criteria to be eligible for the procedure and should have:
- Realistic expectations regarding the expected results.
- Be in good health both physically and psychologically.
- Be uncomfortable with the acne
- Have active acne
- Be committed to following the dermatologist’s instruction for at-home care.
What To Expect From An Acne Treatment
The main benefit of an acne treatment is an acne-free skin with continued maintenance. Since everyone is different, the expected results of an acne treatment might vary from person to person, but benefits typically include:
- Reduced sebum production
- Reduced scarring
- Decreased inflammation
- Minimal recovery time
- Quick procedure
Book your appointment for a Consultation
Would you like to understand what the best options for a younger, fresher, better-looking-you are? Meet one of our experts at Al Shunnar Plastic Surgery for a personal consultation, to develop a tailor-made plan for you. Contact us or book an appointment and our patient care coordinators will identify the most suitable expert for you.
Dr. Claudia Alves Silva Machado
Dr. Kamal Sawan
Dr. Buthainah Al Shunnar