The goal of breast implant revision is to remove and/or replace the saline or silicone implants that were placed during breast augmentation previously.
Breast augmentation is done to achieve beautifully proportioned, fuller, and more youthful breasts. However, certain complications can occur after the procedure or the individual’s expectations were unmet. In such cases, Breast Implant Revision can be considered in which the Plastic Surgeon can change the size or type of implant to remedy the complications and achieve the beautiful appearance that the individual envisioned.
Some of the common issues that breast implant revision can correct include:
- Capsular contracture
- Wrong choice of implant size
- Implant ripping
- Implant displacement
- Rupture or leakage of the implant
Reasons for having Implant Revision Surgery
With time, breast implants can change size or shape, and the overlying breast tissue can change also. This can create a feel or appearance of the breast that is less desirable.
Some of the reasons that prompt an individual to undergo breast implant revision surgery include:
- Pain from capsular contracture
- Wanting to change the breast size
- Migration of implant from the original position
- Change in breast tissue due to weight loss/gain or skin stretching
- An x-ray or MRI indicating shell leakage in a silicone implant or deflation of the saline implant
Good Candidate for Breast Implant Revision Surgery
You can be the ideal candidate for breast implant revision surgery if:
- You are concerned about the condition and integrity of the implants
- You are unhappy with the size, shape, or appearance of the breast implants
- You are physically healthy
- You are at a stable weight
- You have realistic expectations
- You are a nonsmoker
Procedure for Breast Implant Revision
This procedure is done under either intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
The type of incision used during the procedure varies depending on the technique that will be used. Usually the previous incision is reused unless the implant revision is combined with a breast lift. The incision can include the following:
- Breast lift incision–wise pattern incision or vertical incision
- Inframammary incision – this is made in the crease under the breast
- Peri-areolar incision- this is an incision that is made partway or all the way around the areola
Once the Plastic Surgeon has removed the implants and replaced them, the incisions are closed with skin sutures in a layered fashion to achieve the best scar possible.
Recovery and Results
Following a breast implant revision surgery, the individual can expect to get back to her routine within one or two weeks. However, strenuous activities should be avoided for about three weeks. It’ll take about two weeks for the visible bruising and swelling to subside.
To Know More
Would you like to understand what options are available for Breast Implant Revision in Dubai? Meet one of our experts at Al Shunnar Plastic Surgery for a personal consultation to develop a tailor-made plan for you. Contact us or Book an appointment and our patient care coordinators will identify the most suitable expert for you.