It is no secret that most individuals want to have a flat abdomen as it is associated not only with being healthy but also with looking beautiful or attractive. A personalised tummy tuck is a commonly procedure that can help in improving your abdominal shape.
Tummy Tuck Procedure
A tummy tuck is a procedure which tightens and reshapes the abdominal area resulting in a more aesthetically pleasing, slimmer overall appearance. This is a popular procedure for both men and women whose bodies have undergone changes from weight loss or pregnancy.
During a tummy tuck procedure, the abdominal muscles are tightened and excess sagging skin is eliminated thus correcting a protruding belly resulting in a midsection that is flatter and better toned. Having a midsection that is flatter and firmer can improve how clothing fits and looks on you and this makes you more comfortable and increases your self-esteem as well.
Ideal Candidate of a Tummy Tuck
Having a tummy tuck is a personal decision and individuals choose to have it for different reasons. A good candidate for a tummy tuck should:
- Be near his/her ideal weight
- Be in good health
- Be a non-smoker
- Have realistic expectations
- Have lost weight but the abdomen is still protruding and lacks tone
- Have stretched and sagging abdominal muscles as well as skin due to pregnancy
- Have loose, excess skin hanging around the belly after significant amounts of weight loss
Types of Tummy tucks
There are different types of tummy tucks and your surgeon will choose which is best for you depending on your condition and your goals.
- Mini-Tummy Tuck. This type of tummy tuck improves the lower belly will less extensive surgery. It is great when it comes to getting rid of loose skin or pooch and stretch marks which are below the belly button. It involves the surgeon making an incision just above the pubic mound, where he or she will tighten the loose muscles and remove excess skin. This restores a smooth and flat abdominal wall. The resulting scar is usually thin and horizontal which is just a few inches long. Its benefits include it being a short and less involved procedure with a quick recovery resulting in a flatter, slimmer lower abdomen.
- Classic or Full Tummy Tuck. This type of tummy tuck improves the upper and lower abdomen. This technique is great when it comes to addressing the roundness and/or excess skin folds which are below and above the belly button as it addresses the full length of the abdominal wall. The surgeon makes a U-shaped or horizontal incision which is made above the pubic mound. Excess skin is then removed and the abdominal muscles tightened. Some cases require a second incision around the navel so as to address excess skin above the belly button thus achieving the most natural looking results. The resulting scar is similar to that of a mini-tummy tuck but it is longer as it runs from hip bone to hip bone. The scar can be hidden beneath a swimsuit. The benefits of a classic tummy tuck include a flatter and smoother abdomen with reduced appearance of stretch marks. Another version of the fully tummy tuck is also called 3D abdominoplasty, which treats the overall shape of the patient from multiple perspectives (hence 3D), thus resulting in a more balanced, contoured body.
- Extended Tummy Tuck. This type of tummy tuck improves the upper and lower abdomen and flanks. It is ideal for individuals who have lost a lot of weight but have excess, sagging skin hanging around the front half of their body. It involves a longer incision but it removes excess, hanging skin from the flanks and front and tightens the abdominal muscles as well. The resulting scar is usually longer than the others but many patients consider it worthwhile.
Recovery and Results After a Tummy Tuck Procedure
Although some tummy tucks are performed as out-patient procedures, some surgeons may require a patient to stay up to three nights in the hospital, especially after an extensive tummy tuck so as to monitor him/her on the first hours of recovery. The recovery can be a bit long and you can expect to be sore and uncomfortable for about a week after the procedure. You should be able to return to work after 2-4 weeks and avoid strenuous activities. Your surgeon will give you detailed instructions which you should follow without fail. The results are permanent but you should live a healthy lifestyle to maintain them.
Book your appointment for a consultation
Would you like to understand what the best options for a flatter abdomen? Meet one of our experts at Al Shunnar Plastic Surgery for a personal consultation, to develop a tailor-made plan for your tummy tuck in Dubai. Contact us or Book an appointment and our patient care coordinators will identify the most suitable expert for you.