A Full abdominoplasty, also known as a full tummy tuck, is a surgical procedure that aims to remove extra skin, reduce excess fat, and readjust abdominal muscles to redefine the contours of the area above and below the belly button. It is known to provide a slimmer silhouette and tightened skin that makes you look younger.
A Full tummy tuck in Dubai is an extensive procedure that may also involve liposuction to remove the stubborn fat cells around the waist area and the abdominal area that cause your abdomen to bulge. This blog will discuss some general tips that a patient needs to follow to accelerate a safe healing process.
Right after the Surgery
Immediately after the tummy tuck surgery, Plastic Surgeons cover the treated sites with a surgical dressing that forms a barrier between the wounds and the external environment. In addition to this, they may also put narrow drainage tubes around the incisions to drain the fluid and blood that usually accumulate during the initial recovery phase.
Patients are asked to wear a compression garment for at least 6 weeks to prevent swelling and edema formation. This garment tends to be highly elastic and supports the abdomen besides promoting healing. Initially a sponge bath can be use to clean the body but showering is allowed once the drains are removed.
When it comes to wound care, patients should keep their incisions clean to prevent the occurrence of infection.
Following your surgery, you will be prescribed some painkillers which you should take regularly as advised by the doctor. Painkiller medications should help relieve the discomfort and make the whole recovery process way easier. In addition to this, antibiotics and anticoagulants may also be given orally to prevent post-operative infection and blood clotting.
Last but not least, you must steer clear of alcohol and smoking. Alcohol causes your blood vessels to widen resulting in increased swelling and pain around the incision area. Cigarette smoke contains nicotine which not only distorts the immune system but also stops critical nutrients from reaching the treated sites. In short, alcohol and smoking can cause delayed healing and therefore should be avoided.
Guidelines regarding Physical Activities At Home
Keeping your body active is always good as it boosts blood circulation and prevents calf clot formation. However, you should consult with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon before you start any physical activity following your full abdominoplasty procedure.
The followings are some general guidelines on how you should approach resuming your daily activities. Again, they should be followed according to the instructions of your Plastic Surgeon.
- Start walking during the first week.
- Try not to bend so much and avoid squatting.
- You can go back to your routine and even work during the third week if you have recovered significantly. However, keep in mind that your job shouldn’t be physically demanding.
- Avoid jerky movements during the exercise. You should not be lifting heavy weights or doing any activity that puts additional pressure on your abdomen (for instance, picking up kids or doing sits ups).
- You can resume light activities like recumbent cycling that keeps your torso in a laid-back reclining position.
- You can do low-impact cardio like swimming, yoga, cycling, and walking.
- You can also resume lifting light weights if your Plastic Surgeon allows you.
- If you feel any discomfort or pain during the exercise, you should stop immediately.
- You can run on the treadmill or outside if you like.
- Heavy weight lifting can be done but the abdominal region should be specifically protected.
General Tips on Post-Operative Diet
Here are some additional tips on how to take care of your body after a full tummy tuck:
- Make sure that you are taking vitamins A and C as they enhance immunity and help with wound healing.
- A low carb diet should be consumed during the initial days as this helps reduce swelling.
- Fruits like pineapple and papaya are quite effective in reducing infection, swelling, and bloating.
What to Do Next?
If you are interested in knowing more about full tummy tuck in Dubai, feel free to contact the Al Shunnar patient care team. Our coordinators will readily schedule a personal consultation session for you with one of our Board Certified Plastic Surgeons.